Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Five great summer reads

So I am a not so undercover bookworm (ahem, see post titled Meeting Sarah Dessen). I am often asked for book recommendations and I thought I would share them here. So the following is a list of books that are great reads especially during summer time when those of us who are not in school have more time to read.

#1) Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, by: Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
Why I picked it: This book has something for everyone. It is a compilation of interesting studies all done in about a chapter each. Ever wonder "how much do my parenting skills really matter?" or "how much do drug dealers really make?". Well they tackle these subjects creatively and thoroughly. It is the "Mythbusters" of social economics.

#2) The Truth About Forever, by: Sarah Dessen
Why I picked it: A great summer read for a coming of age story of a girls summer before her senior year of high school. You will feel as if you are reading your best friends diary and reliving the summer you missed out on with her. The characters feel real and you can't help but feel like you know them.

#3) Sloppy Firsts, by: Megan McCafferty
Why I picked it: A funny series about a girl, a bad boy and the crazy antics that follow as she goes through High School, the series follows her life through college. This book is written as a diary and she is often writing to her best friend. So you often feel as if you are being written to. The main character is smart and witty and you will find your self wondering how this story will unfold.

#4) Bossypants, by: Tina Fey
Why I picked it: I am not one for autobiographies but this one is hysterical. It will literally have you laughing out loud calling your sister to tell her what you just read. It is funny, poignant and memorable.

#5) The Year of Fog, by: Michelle Richmond
Why I picked it: I never read mysteries, they just are not my thing. However, this story about a women who while on a trip to the beach looks down to take a picture and when she looks up her fiances daughter is suddenly missing, will take you full speed fromt the very first chapter on the search for the little girl. You will be reading all night to find out what really happened and ultimately will she ever be found?

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I did. I recommend them often and have gotten plenty of positive feedback. I tried to make sure there was something on this list for everyone and know that these books are in no particular order.

If you have read any of them I would love to know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read any books by Chelsea Handler? She's crude, but HILARIOUS! Her books have me rolling!

    ReplyDelete