Friday, June 7, 2013

Chicken the way my mom makes it

So I'm not much of a cook but I do know a few recipes. This week my husband asked me to make what is referred to in my family as "Red chicken". I know its not the greatest title but it does taste good. It is chicken that is cooked in tomato sauce, soy sauce, onions and cilantro and served with white rice. So I am going to attempt to walk you through how I make it, but know that we never have really used measuring cups when making this so its a little different every time we make it.

So first thing is first here is the ingredients to make four chicken breasts:
-3 cans of tomato sauce
-1 cup of soy sauce
-cilantro about a third of cup to a half cup finely chopped
-onion amount is the same as the cilantro

 photo 65263c07-e8a4-40b8-9903-a28dadef2fb7_zps033bfe00.jpg

So what I do is I finely chop the cilantro and the onion put it in a glass baking dish pour the tomato sauce and soy sauce in. Then I stir it in the baking dish then place the chicken in, this way I don't have to dirty a mixing bowl. Here is an image of the onion and cilantro chopped so you can see about how much I chop it and about how much I use.

 photo b1d98f85-25ec-48ad-afbf-c697699bcd83_zps7bedd158.jpg photo ade500c7-a733-4b7f-8881-a55fb4de4a8f_zps8e5fbc63.jpg

This is the cilantro before it is chopped so you can see about how much it is before it crushed up:

 photo ced540c1-91ef-43b1-861e-6a4f2540f8a8_zps1d13dec8.jpg

Here it all is in the dish:

 photo b0b9775c-f0d1-46c1-88c0-f7d9a2e7e6a2_zps7ed0a0ab.jpg

As you can see the chicken is completely submerged in the sauce. I cook it at a temperature of 375 for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked (obviously). The only thing that makes this recipe hard is that the chicken is cooked in a red sauce so it takes on the coloring of if so it can be hard to tell the chicken is done by looking at it so a thermometer is really helpful. What I like about this recipe is that it is really quick and easy to make the only real prep is chopping the cilantro and the onion. Once its all in the oven I clean the cutting board, knives and anything else I got messy. Then I start the rice up. It is usually all done really close to the same time then I just put it in a bowl together and your done.

 photo 422f23d0-12a7-4f23-b49b-0e39ee408576_zps4e6e18f9.jpg

Not the prettiest or fanciest dish, but it is simple and tasty. You can definitely use different cuts of chicken, sometimes I use bone in or boneless depending on what I have in the freezer. Sometimes I use more or less soy sauce depending on how I want it to taste. If you come up with any additions or variations please send it to me I am always looking for ways to make something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment